IIDEA inviting Organizations with Innovative Projects
Deadline: 30 July 2019
The Incubator for Integration and Development in East Africa (IIDEA)is inviting organizations with innovative projects and the capacity to implement them to submit their applications for support, in particular projects in the following areas: Health, Innovation in ICT, Agriculture, Trade and Tourism.
IIDEA is an initiative which incubates small-scale regional integration projects, proposed and implemented by civil society, private sector and other interest groups in East Africa. It is cross-border in nature with projects involving at least two EAC Partner States.
IIDEA provides technical and financial support for implementation and marketing of eligible projects. The initiative is implemented jointly with the East African Community Secretariat and the German Development Cooperation implemented by GIZ.
The East African Community (EAC) is the regional intergovernmental organization of the Republics of Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania and the Republic of South Sudan.
- The main objective of IIDEA is to ensure that Non-state actors in the EAC-Partner States have implemented measures for people‘s participation in regional economic integration.
- To realize the objective, 15 measures on services and products offered in the field of social and economic integration are implemented, 10 of them with a focus on the needs of women and youth.
The specific objectives of IIDEA project over the next three years are:
- To support organizations that develop products and services to promote regional integration that are used by citizens of East Africa;
- To communicate stories and results of these organizations to inform and actively engage citizens of East Africa in the implementation of the EAC Common Market Protocol;
- To establish partnership for sustained citizens’ engagement in the EAC integration process.
- 15 Innovative regional integration projects are successfully implemented and finalized;
- Stakeholders, including citizens of East Africa, are informed and actively supporting the implementation of the EAC Common Market Protocol, and
- IIDEA as a platform for promoting innovative citizen led regional integration initiatives is sustainable.
30,000 EAC citizens (out of which 12,000 youth and 10,000 women) have used products and services provided by IIDEA projects.
Financial Mechanism for IIDEA
Based on the project proposal and the IIDEA selection criteria, the IIDEA Committee comprise of regional apex bodies of private sector, civil society and professional associations including Ministries of East African Community Affairs (MEACA) together with the EAC and GIZ decide on the proposals to be supported under the IIDEA initiative. GIZ funding support in case of final acceptance ranges from USD 10,000 up to 50,000 for each project during application, however, the final amount will be decided after due diligence. The project implementation period should range from September 2019 to September 2020 (maximum of 12 months).
- The IIDEA Projects are set to be implemented through collaborations and partnerships between organizations and as such only organizations can apply for the funds, and not individual persons. Applicants who partner up with an organization from at least one other Partner State for a joint initiative will be given priority for support. Whether the project proposal is developed by an organization or as a joint initiative, it must benefit at least 2 EAC Partner States.
- The eligible organizations should be drawn from national civil society organizations (CSOs), business organizations, associations, companies, sector associations that operate across borders and/or regionally in the East African Community. Youth and women organizations and associations are particularly encouraged to apply. It is important that applicants have enough capacities to commit to the project in terms of human capacity and time resources.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply via given website.
For more information, please visit https://www.eaciidea.net/2019/07/02/iidea-call-for-projects-is-open-apply-now/